To curb the spread of COVID-19, the Federal government announced Friday August 13th, 2021, a unilateral decision to require mandatory vaccinations for all federal public service employees.
While steps to increase vaccination coverage across Canada are important to reduce the risk of COVID-19, to protect the health and safety of Canadians, and to stop the pandemic, there are human rights and privacy concerns triggered by the proposed policy, which unions are interested in.
The National Joint Council has been convening government officials and unions regularly to manage the broad impacts of COVID-19 since early March 2020. Unions leverage this platform to voice their concerns, convey their recommendations and to hold government into account.
Generally, CAPE’s support of this new policy is conditional to consultation in good faith, accommodation of medical and human rights-based exemptions, protection of privacy, and flexibility in the search for reasonable alternatives to avoid unnecessary punitive measures. More details are available in the summary of CAPE’s official position on the federal mandatory vaccination policy.
CAPE is committed to defending members impacted by the policy whose cases are legitimate and have merit.
Members who believe they have a reason to seek accommodation should do so, in writing to their manager. Documentation such as medical notes should be provided as soon as possible to the employer if accommodation is sought.
Should the employer refuse your request for accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com
- June 14, 2022 – Government is suspending its Mandatory Vaccination Policy
- May 17, 2022 – CAPE files policy grievances against Mandatory Vaccination Policy
- March 9, 2022 – CAPE's Input Into Vaccination Policy
- March 2, 2022 – Departments and Agencies to Resume Workplace Planning
- August 17, 2021 – Mandatory Vaccinations: Next Steps
- August 13, 2021 – Statement: Mandatory Vaccination for All Federal Public Service Employees
- FAQ - Policy grievances Mandatory Vaccination [PDF]
- Summary of CAPE’s position
- Government of Canada: Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Candian Mounted Police
General questions about CAPE's position can be redirected to your local leadership.
Questions about the implementation of the policy must be submitted to your office or human resources manager.
To receive our mandatory vaccination news and updates:Make sure you are registered to receive our emails, or update your account with your most recent email address here.