As soon as you become a CAPE member through your employment with the Canadian federal government, you are entitled to receive our main services. You then need to register your membership to get access to an even wider range of benefits and privileges.
Are you represented by CAPE? Find out here.
Registration is optional, but we encourage you to get the most out of your membership through proper registration.
You will find below a list of all the benefits and privileges you are entitled to, whether you are a non-registered member, also known as a “Rand” member, or a registered member, also referred to as a member “in good standing”.
Benefits of non-registered members
As a non-registered member, you are entitled to the following:
Collective bargaining: We negotiate collective agreements on behalf of all our members, whether registered or not.
- Labour relations services and representation: If you need assistance to deal with a workplace issue, we will assist and represent you.
- Advocacy: We advocate for your rights with the employer and the government., you are covered.
- Annual meetings: It is your right to participate in annual meetings. However, only registered members are allowed to vote during those meetings.
- General information: You can sign up for our newsletter to receive general news and updates.
Benefits of registered members
As a registered member, you are entitled to the following:
- All CAPE core services and privileges: as listed above.
- Voting: You can voice your opinion and preferences by taking part in various votes, whether it is to choose the issues for us to negotiate during collective bargaining, to sign an agreement with the employer, or to support a resolution.
- Resolution sponsorship: You can present a resolution to the membership to help shape policy and strategy.
- Meetings and training: You can participate in all our meetings and in our steward training.
- Volunteering and leading: You can volunteer to become a steward or a local leader, and run in elections to the National Executive Committee.
- Member benefits program ServicePlus*: Only registered members can take advantage of preferential insurance rates, and discounts on several services such as airfare, hotels, mobile phone plans, rental cars and more, offered through this special plan.
- Critical updates and information: In addition to receiving our newsletter, you will receive more detailed updates specific to your collective agreement, your employee classification, and changes that can affect your rights and well-being in the workplace and how we are looking into them.
Registration is simple
Registration is a simple process that will require that you fill out the online form below at the Register button to provide us with general information and a copy of your letter of offer. One of our agents will process your registration within 24 hours.
If you are unable to proceed with your registration, contact us at membership @ acep-cape.ca
For a printable handout on membership benefits please see this PDF.