Voting: step by step instructions
Here’s how to register on the CAPE member portal
In order to make electronic voting simpler and more secure, CAPE is changing how you will be voting on tentative agreements, on resolutions emanating from the annual general meeting, in elections and whenever you, as a member, are asked to cast a ballot to pave the way forward for our union.
Because we know that this first step presents a number of challenges, we have created these step-by-step instructions to guide you through the entire process.
A word of advice: keeping this window open while you are registering will make it easier to refer to it on the fly. So let’s get started!
Step 1 – Getting to the portal
There are three ways to access the portal:
- the most direct way is to click on this link: https://cape.insitesystems.com/portal (right click with your mouse to open another tab, you will be able to easily consult this page);
- or you can go to the CAPE homepage and click on “vote!” – the first item on the carousel;
- or you can go to the CAPE homepage and click the “read more” link in the second box on the right-hand side of the page.
Step 2 – Accessing your profile
Here is what the member portal splash page looks like. All you have to do is click on the “sign in” button.
Step 3 - Enter your email address and password
In the window that pops up (see above), enter the email address you use to receive emails from CAPE and enter your password.
If you have used ServicePlus before and know the 6-digit number that starts with the number 9 (9xxxxx), you can use that number as a password.
Step 4 – Verify your email address
The following window will open. Click on “change my profile” to proceed to the next two steps.
The following window will open after you click on "change my profile".
If the message “email not verified” appears in red below your name and email address, you need to verify your email address. This basically confirms for us that you actually have access to the email address associated with your name. Click on “send verification email”. An email message will be sent to your email address. Open the email and click the link in the message to confirm your email address. You can keep this window open and return to it once you have completed this step.
Step 5 – Provide a piece of ID
We need to authenticate your profile. To do this, we require one or two pieces of ID: either a photo-ID with your home address (e.g. your driver's license) or two separate pieces of ID (one piece of photo ID and another with your address). To submit your ID, click on “upload photo ID” and insert the .jpg file containing your ID.
The member portal uses 128-bit encryption similar to that used by your bank or credit union for online banking services. We care about and respect your privacy. That is why your piece of ID will be used strictly to authenticate your identity. After authentication is completed, the file containing your ID will be deleted from our systems.
The following is a list of recommended and accepted ID:
- Driver's license; OR
- Public Service Health Care Plan benefit card (e.g. Sunlife); OR
- A government (Federal or Provincial or Municipal) photo ID card which ALSO has an address on it; OR
- A government (Federal or Provincial or Municipal) photo ID (i.e. passport) AND a document that indicates a physical address (i.e. utility bill).
Please do not use:
- Department-issued ID (note that we were advised by TBS Government Security that this was inappropriate for the present purposes – those who have already uploaded theirs will not be required to upload a new piece of ID)
- Provincial health card
Step 6 – Register to vote
All that remains is for you to register to vote. This might seem like a pain (we get it!), but programming restrictions prevent us from putting buttons on this page.
There are three ways to return to your profile page:
- Click on the CAPE button in the menu bar;
- Click on the dropdown menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Member portal – Homepage;” or
- Click on the Back button and select “Member portal – Homepage.”
This will take you to the previous page. Click on the “member votes” tab.
If you are an EC member, you will have 7 votes to register for before you can start voting on February 20.
If you are a TR member, you will have 6 votes to register for before you can start voting on February 20.
If you are a Library of Parliament member, you will have 5 votes to register for before you can start voting on February 20.
You’re almost there! For each vote you wish to take part in starting February 20, click on the “Register” button. Your name and email address will be confirmed. You need only enter the password you used previously to enter the portal, and that’s all there is to it!
Once you have completed the registration process for a particular vote, a message confirming your registration will automatically appear in the window for that vote.
Now you just have to repeat the process for each vote. So don’t give up, because you’re almost done!
Once you have finished registering for all of the votes you are eligible to participate in, you can log out by clicking on your name in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and selecting “Sign out.”
We will be contacting you in the days to come, in particular to remind you when the voting period is about to start. But you can mark that date on your calendar right now: February 20, 2017.
Between February 20 and March 3 (4 p.m. Eastern), log in to the portal at https://cape.insitesystems.com/portal using your email address and password.
Click the “vote” button under each question and cast your vote.
Once you’re finished voting, click the “sign out” button on the upper right-hand corner.
Here are some of the reasons you might not be able to enter the portal:
- You forgot your password, the password you used does not work, or you have not used the portal since November 11, 2016? Click on “Reset my password” at the bottom of the window and follow the instructions.
- If you are a CAPE member but we do not yet have your email address on file, you must:
- go back to the previous window (by clicking the “back” arrow in your browser);
- then click on “Update my email.”
- If you pay dues to CAPE but you are not a member in good standing, click on “Register my membership” on that same page. This will open a new window containing the CAPE membership registration form. Once you have filled out and submitted your form, we will contact you with instructions on how to complete your member portal registration.