Other important achievements in the EC tentative agreementFebruary 02, 2017
In addition to the details published on January 26, here are some of the improvements included in the new collective agreement, should members ratify the tentative agreement.
The EC table was able to achieve:
- a broader definition of the family associated with leave provisions (bereavement, family-related, for the care of the family);
- family-related leave can now be used to attend school functions, address unforeseeable closure of schools or daycare facilities, or attend an appointment with a legal, financial or professional representative;
- the ability to take a bereavement leave of 7 consecutive calendar days or into two periods for a maximum of 5 working days;
- the replacement of the volunteer day by an additional personal day, and the ability to split the 15-hour leave into four periods;
- the addition of gender identity and expression in the list of prohibited grounds for discrimination;
- allowing more time to use compensatory leave by moving the deadline from April 1 to September 30;
- the overtime meal allowance increases from $10.50 to $12.00.
The employer also agreed that we should align the collective agreement provisions to changes in the legislation related to compassionate care leave (removing reference to an 8-week maximum duration) and maternal and parental leave (parents will incur no loss of income as a result of the change in the Employment Insurance Act which reduces the waiting period to one week).